most of the time, i’m cooking for two- my boyfriend nick and i. last week, we went on a mini shopping spree at a costco and i fell in love with the extensive cheese department. who knew they would have such a selection? so we ended up coming home with a two pound block of Cabot 36-month cheese. whoops.
the cheese is fantastic- worth every penny, but it is just too much for just two people. since we’ve already started digging in and we don’t want to waste a single nub, i resorted to one of my favorite comfort foods: macaroni and cheese.
i’ve been a blue box fan for eternity (spirals all the way!) and i wanted to find a quick recipe that didn’t involve a casserole dish and the oven. so here it is: creamy mac and cheese, a modification of a recipe i found on the all recipes dinner spinner app. the photo is of the next day leftovers on my lunch break at work- i thought this dish was great fresh, but it actually tasted even better the next day. hurray leftovers!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
1 pound of bite sized pasta (e.g.- elbow macaroni noodles)
1 small container of light cream
1 cup chicken broth
3 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon of mustard powder
1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
1 pound of grated extra-sharp cheddar (mmmm 3 year cabot cheese …)
3 tablespoons of cream cheese
1/3 cup of flour
1. boil the noodles until al dente
2. microwave the cream, broth, cream cheese, and mustard powder in a pyrex cup
3. melt butter in empty pasta pot, whisk in flour, followed by the hot cream/broth mix
4. on very low heat, whisk until thick and bubbly
5. turn off the heat and stir in the cooked noodles and cheese. add more cheese if desired!